Friday, May 22, 2009

Mind wandering...

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has this issue:

My mind wanders while reading scriptures for lengthy periods of time. Like... more than 10 minutes. Or two. Depends on the day.  
It's bad. 
I'll be reading about Ammon's mission to the Lamanites...and remember we're having the missionaries over for dinner...and start thinking of what to make for dinner...and remember we don't have anything in the house...and plan when to make a trip to the store...and dread bringing my crazy toddler out in public... all of a sudden, I'm at the end of the chapter, and I can't remember a thing I just read! 
Help!

4 comments:

Linn said...

Um, I don't know about everyone else, but I am with you on this one. Errr, so frustrating for me. I'm one step worse though as I am way behind on my reading and my mind wanders during reading. Pathetic.

Malerie said...

Haha. Totally. I have to rewind on just about every page. "Wait...he died already..how did I miss that?"

Jessica said...

ok, I'm sure you will think I'm crazy, but I was doing that to. . . so I decided to do something silly.
I decided to read out loud (well softly out loud)
I took a breath at the beginning of each verse, and couldn't breathe again until I got to the end of the verse.
I actually started comprehending a lot better and didn't get distracted anymore. The reading seemed to go much faster also(since I need to breathe).
Don't worry Mal, I won't tell anyone I'm your sister ;-)

Malerie said...

Haha, Jess I would never have thought of that. You are always so creative at solving problems in a fun way ;)